woensdag 6 maart 2013

Creating minimal HUD's

In this master project I am going to design a heads-up-display (HUD) which will create a better game experience by showing minimal information. My hypotheses is that the player gets distracted by the abundant amount of information given to him/her by the HUD. I wish to streamline the flow of information offered and the visualisation of the information in the HUD.

For the master project I find it important to make a game in which my future knowledge about heads-up-displays can be tested. For this I have selected a subject on which to create a game. Because I want to work in the serious game business I have chosen for a game in which I can implement a serious game aspect. I am working together with a team on a game about the crusades. In this game I will implement knowledge about the crusades, through this people will have gained knowledge about the crusades when playing the game. 

HUD Examples


Journey, a third person 3D platformer. This game doesn't need a HUD, because they implemented all the necessary information in the game world itself. The cape shows the magic level and live. A white glow at a corner of the screen shows the position of possible other players.
Metroid Prime, a first person action game in which the HUD supplies the player with the neccesary information like a mini map, energy levels, ammunition and upgrades. This al is displayed in a way that it seems to be a system within the helm of the player.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten